HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 03:25:52 -0500

In a message dated 2/14/2007 12:41:57 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1167964245/0

Although I know nothing of the artifacts of the War of 1812, these ovals
remind me of elements of Japanese swords. I once observed an appraiser dismantle
a traditional Japanese sword to reveal the maker's mark on the portion of the
 blade that inserted into the handle and oval pieces slipped off the shank
from  the base of the handle. Although the historic context is not likely for
Japanese  swords, that is what I am reminded of when looking a those items.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.