HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Patrick Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:13:45 -0500
Can anyone identify a War of 1812 artifact type posted at the website link
below on archaeologyfieldwork.com? I have an idea of what the item may be,
but it does not exactly match what I have seen on War of 1812 reenactor
sites, and I do not want to influence someone else's identification by
giving my opinion. Both artifacts are brass, oval in shape, with a
square-cut hole in the center. Exterior and interior color photo views are
shown with metric scale.

View original e-mail and links to artifact photos at
http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1167964245/0

[Note: place cursor over website link above. Press ctrl + left click of
mouse to go to artifact photo links.]

 A little history on the archaeological and historical context of the
artifact. The artifact was recovered from test excavations of the
Strzesynski site (33Wo50) in Ohio by the University of Toledo. Partial
exposure of a building indicated by red brick, rocks and mortar had
collapsed into a cellar feature fill. The property was the site of Amos
Spafford (1753-1816), the second U.S. collector of customs and inspector of
the revenue at the Port of Miami, District of Miami, Michigan Territory. The
house was either rebuilt or remodeled over an earlier, wooden structure
which was a combined, domestic dwelling and U.S. customs warehouse (of which
the cellar feature is related) dated to A.D. 1810-1822 through historical
documents. Additionally, three coins were recovered from the fill of the
cellar feature: a 1742 Spanish-milled (Pillar) silver dollar minted in
Mexico City; a Spanish "piece of eight" from an 8 Real silver dollar; and an
1806 U.S. Liberty Head cent. Current research with historical records and
deeds to the property is currently in progress to provide more information
on the historical context of the occupation.

Any identification or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pat Tucker
French-Canadian Heritage Society of Michigan

Detroit