HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Legare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:22:12 -0800
Patrick,
I am primarily a prehistoric archaeologist.  However,
these items also struck me as tack items.  Fancy work
on a bridle or saddlebag?  For use with leather in any
case.  The holes seem too rough for furniture or
household use.

David Legare

http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1167964245/0

> > [Note: place cursor over website link above. Press
> ctrl + left click of
> > mouse to go to artifact photo links.]
> >

> > A little history on the archaeological and
> historical context of the
> > artifact. The artifact was recovered from test
> excavations of the
> > Strzesynski site (33Wo50) in Ohio by the
> University of Toledo. Partial
> > exposure of a building indicated by red brick,
> rocks and mortar had
> > collapsed into a cellar feature fill. The property
> was the site of Amos
> > Spafford (1753-1816), the second U.S. collector of
> customs and inspector
> > of
> > the revenue at the Port of Miami, District of
> Miami, Michigan Territory.
> > The
> > house was either rebuilt or remodeled over an
> earlier, wooden structure
> > which was a combined, domestic dwelling and U.S.
> customs warehouse (of
> > which
> > the cellar feature is related) dated to A.D.
> 1810-1822 through historical
> > documents. Additionally, three coins were
> recovered from the fill of the
> > cellar feature: a 1742 Spanish-milled (Pillar)
> silver dollar minted in
> > Mexico City; a Spanish "piece of eight" from an 8
> Real silver dollar; and
> > an
> > 1806 U.S. Liberty Head cent. Current research with
> historical records and
> > deeds to the property is currently in progress to
> provide more information
> > on the historical context of the occupation.
> >
> > Any identification or opinions are greatly
> appreciated.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Pat Tucker
> > French-Canadian Heritage Society of Michigan
> >
> > Detroit

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html