HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Holly Tunkel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:21:22 -0600
Hi all!

I could use some assistance in the identification of a pipe recovered
from a late 19th, early 20th century, Louisiana plantation context. It is
a stub-stemmed, horse effigy pipe made from an off-white clay, which does
not appear to be local. The pipe has been reconstructed, and the tip of
the snout is missing. It is unique in that unlike most effigy pipes, the
effigy does not face away from the smoker when being smoked. The horse’s
upside down neck is the bowl, and the horse’s open mouth, facing the
smoker, would have held the reed stem used to smoke the pipe. A sheared
off piece of pewter or lead is embedded in the horse’s forehead, and it
appears to be original to the pipe.

Pictures are available at: http://www.ramseyhouse.org/histarch.html. Just
click on the images to enlarge.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Holly Tunkel
Curatorial Graduate Assistant
Louisiana State University Museum of Natural Science
119 Foster Hall, Baton Rouge, Louisiana