From:
julie taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:58:21 -0700
I realise that most of you ladies are in private practice but I have a question that does not seem to have been answered in the past ( I have searched the archives)

  I am currently an RN in the labor and delivery unit of a small hospital which belongs to a large private healthcare company.I am planning to take the exam in July to qualify as a lactation consultant and my plan is to start up a lactation department within the hospital to serve all the local moms.I will be the sole employee of this department! I see it as a kind of private practice setup but owned by the hospital.I will be seeing inpatients, outpatients, renting and selling pumps, measuring and selling nursing bras, teaching classes, seeing patients in the OB practice and pediatrician practice.

  My manager, while liking my idea, does not see the need to give me any kind of salary increase which I think that I am worthy of. I will be carrying a pager, on call 7/24 etc, etc. I have looked at the IBCLC website but have been unable to find any clues to back up my claim.

  The other LCs at the main hospital in the nearby city have accepted this situation but I dont intend to quite yet. Have any of you encountered a similar situation?

  I would be interested in your comments. I must say that I find this site fascinating - it is good to read opinions from all over the world.
  Thank you.
  Julie Taylor RN