Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:18:05 +0800
On 11/07/2006, at 14:25, Arly Helm quoted:

> Certain protein molecules can be denatured by spreading them in
> thin films
> as in a foam. Mechanical action during the whisking of egg white
> causes a
> partial coagulation of the protein. The protein molecules unfold
> and form a
> reinforcing network round the air bubbles, thus stabilising the foam.
[snip]

Thanks. Whisking or whipping egg whites to a stiff foam is a very
different situation from a few shakes in a container to reincorporate
fat, not to the point of any foaming. I phrased the question
carefully and specifically for the real-life situation I'm talking
about.

So far what I've gathered is that there is apparently no evidence for
ordinary milk-shaking causing measurable disruption of cells or
proteins, and the direct word of two biochemists, who work with
proteins and cells in the here and now, saying that it doesn't. The
story appears to be a long-bow extrapolation, possibly verging on an
lacto-urban-legend. Would love to hear from any others with evidence-
based information.

Many thanks

Lara Hopkins