From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 21:50:39 -0400
Arly wrote about finding she got further with her drop-in calls on employers
if she wore lipstick.

I attended a few of the annual meetings of the UN's Commission on the Status
of Women (CSW) in the early 1990's. These meetings were attended by many
people from NGOs (non-governmental organizations), all trying to get their
viewpoints heard by the government delegates and also by the powerful NGOs
who were in positions of leadership. I heard a rumor that when the floor was
opened for discussion in any of the small meetings and side events, you
could raise your hand and catch the Chair's eye, but you were not likely to
be called on unless you were wearing lipstick. I certainly saw a lot of
women in the ladies' room, frantically applying lipstick before the
afternoon meetings.

On reflection, two things come to mind.
1. For women who wear lipstick, after lunch is a normal time to re-apply it.
2. Lipstick does give one's face more definition and makes it easier to
"read" one's expression from a distance. For this reason, lipstick may be an
aid to effective communication. I have certainly learned this since my
eyebrows went grey. I never used to wear any makeup, but a little eyebrow
pencil now seems to give my face a lot more character.

This is lactation-related because we have to be effective communicators in
our line of work.
Chris

Chris Mulford, RN, IBCLC
LLL Leader Reserve
working for WIC in South Jersey (Eastern USA)
Co-coordinator, Women & Work Task Force, WABA