From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 12:44:34 -0600
I would like to suggest to all those interested in becoming a lactation
consultant, or even helping breastfeeding mothers on a different level,
please purchase and read THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK as a starter
textbook. As you move up in knowledge, please purchase and read the
higher level textbooks. You can find these in many places, especially
the LLLI catalog under professional books. Hale's book is another "must
have."

Practical knowledge about how to do this job can be found in The
Lactation Consultant in Private Practice, even if one is working in a
hospital, there are still standards of practice that we all must follow.

Good information about the knowledge base an IBCLC needs is found on
www.iblce.org or www.ilca.org. Joining ILCA gives you the gift of
receiving the Journal of Human Lactation every other month and this will
help you keep up to date.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC