From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:03:54 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: Wendy Blumfield

I was very interested in the article from the Australian Breastfeeding Association and would really appreciate any other sources for the following problem.  I have permission to post this.

  A client is visiting me this week because she needs to present these findings on the benefits of prolonged breastfeeding  to a family court.
She and her husband are in process of divorce.  They have two older children who were breastfed until 3 and she is still feeding her youngest who is now two.
Although the toddler eats a healthy age-appropriate diet, he is still very happy to breastfeed  a few times a day - when he is tired, waking up at night, coming home from the day-care centre etc.
The family court are negotiating visitation rights for the father on the basis of two nights a week and alternate weekends which sounds very fair.  The last thing I want to do is to interfere in this.
However the mother fears that the divorce which is already a traumatic change in the child`s life makes it even more important that she continues breastfeeding longer to provide that stability.  I also feel that the father`s rights are important and that his involvement in the children also provides stability.
This is something they have to sort out between them but she has asked me to provide evidence that it is beneficial physically and emotionally for the toddler to continue being breastfed.
Who said Solomon had an easy job?
Wendy Blumfield
NCT BFC
Israel Childbirth Education Centre