From:
Marianna Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 03:16:02 -0500
Hi all!  I am a nursing student at the University of Nevada, Reno in
the U.S.  I have been subscribed to this fantastic list for about a month,
and my plan is to become a lactation consultant after graduation. In the
U.S. 70% of mothers nurse their babies, but only 33% are still nursing at
4-5 months. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive
breastfeeding for at least the first 6 months (1). But this count included
women who were supplementing. Exclusive rates were 46% and 17%,
respectively.
I know that social perception, in the U.S., of nursing after one year
pressures women to wean before then, even though WHO recommends nursing
for longer. We know that nursing up to a year really helps mom and baby in
so many ways.  But how does it affect older children and moms? I was
unable to find any studies in the US on the topic.  Women here must
be "closet nursing," or noone has decided to research it yet?
   Has anyone come across research that shows how prolonged breastfeeding
affects kids and their parents?  I have only heard anecdotal evidence
about this subject. I would love to hear what is happening in research
abroad as well.

I can't wait to hear what you have to say.  Thanks,
A hopeful nursing student.

Reference:
PEDIATRICS Vol. 115 No. 2 February 2005, pp. 496-506