Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:33:56 -0500
7bit
From:
Robyn & Steve Paull <[log in to unmask]>
Due to the fact that I received a number of private replies to my posting
about tattooing and breastfeeding (and nipple piercing) I thought I would
send my reply to LACTNET as well for those that are interested.  I've
included a couple of links to articles on the subject as well.  I believe
that this is an important subject since we are reaching more mothers about
the benefits of breastfeeding (for themselves and their babies) and with the
rise in popularity of tattooing and piercings we ARE going to see more
mothers wanting to breastfeed with these in place.  Or wishing to get them
done, but not wean in order to do so.  I am also seeing a few mothers
wanting to have tattoos removed and who are concerned about the effects of
that on their milk/breastfeeding.

There are NOT any dangers to breastfeeding with tattoos, or to getting a
tattoo while breastfeeding, besides the always present risk of blood borne
disease.  What there though are a lot of myths about the whole process.  I
have encountered quite a number of misinformed tattoo artists (I have 4
tattoos) and HCP's.   What I hear most often are comments from HCPs
(unfamiliar with the tattoo process) that the ink will get into the milk
(impossible for a number of reasons and many believe it will cause the milk
to turn colors or go bad), getting the tattoo will cause stress and moms
milk will dry up, tattoos are not safe and they are putting their baby at
risk of HIV/Hepatitis (which if they don't go to a licensed tattoo artist is
a very real possibility).  Remarks and info from tattoo artists (unfamiliar
with the lactation process) is that it is more of liability thing and many
want to cover their behinds so they just refuse to tattoo nursing women.
Reasons given for not tattooing a nursing mother range from the "It will
stress mom and her milk will dry up" to "the tattoo must heal and you cant
produce good milk while it is healing".

I co-wrote an article and FAQ for Leaven (the Leaders magazine for LLLI)
about tattooing and breastfeeding.  There is no 'hard' research, case
studies or otherwise regarding tattooing and breastfeeding, in fact the
literature is nil on the subject!  In my research I interviewed a number of
tattoo artists as well as a couple of IBCLC's, and a pharmacist for info on
the dangers, inks passing into the milk, tattooing process, etc.

 Here is the link to the article
http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVFebMar05p3.html

Here is a link to another article on nipple piercing, also found in Leaven
http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul99p64.html

And I know of one other article on Nipple Piercing in JHL,  August 2004
Consultants Corner

For anyone giving a talk on tattooing and breastfeeding, the reality is that
it is not any different than getting your hair permed or dyed and what do we
tell mothers about that?  Mothers need to decide for themselves how badly
they want a tattoo/piercing vs. the possible risk(s) to their infant.  In
any case, if you are giving a talk I cannot stress highly enough the need
for moms to find reputable tattoo/piercing artists who practice safe
tattooing/piercing procedures (as outlined in my article) and that mothers
follow ALL aftercare procedures to guard against infection.

Robyn Roche-Paull
LLLLeader~Tidewater, VA
CLE, CLC and MCH:LC student