Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 09:42:30 -0400
Sometimes you just have to hit your head against the wall. I think I have a permanent bump on my forehead! Not only am a nursing mother (for over 14 years non-stop) and a LLLL I am a skin cancer survivor. When I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma after the birth of my seventh baby(who had his own problems being forced into this world at 37 weeks) two years ago my world stop. I will tell you that the thought of NOT nursing my newborn was excruciatingly painful-and I refused to do so short of needing to in order to save my life. Luckily chemo was not needed as we caught the malignancy just early enough. My personal HCP was extremely professional and open to any and all concerns or suggestions I had when treatment impacted breastfeeding. Because the cancer was actually on my breast (ironic?!) we had to be careful of where the incision/bandage was placed and of course any meds prescribed where researched. Whenever I would ask about the impact to breastfeeding of something that needed to be done the Dr would turn it back over to me with a "YOU'RE the expert, you tell ME!" Great guy.

I believe this patient is getting the run-around. It sounds as if this mom has a type of skin cancer(basal cell carcinoma which pretty much stays on the skin's surface, unlike malignant melanomas) that Aldara, from my understanding is NEW in treating. So, since we have a DRUG that can fix something, why bother with standard treatment?! Tongue in cheek, of course. Before the drug there was excision. Since this mother is nursing and the drug may be a problem-it's a long term therapy,too- I would hope that the HCP would offer her the normal course of treatment and just remove the thing! Chances are she has this on her face so he meds of course would alleviate the issue of leaving a scar. But really, this mother should be given all her options and not sacrifice her baby's nutritional welfare for what's easier. Geesh.

~Lorij,LLL Leader/Reserve
Mom to seven breastfed children