Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 09:42:30 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
Sometimes you just have to hit your head against the wall. I think I have a permanent bump on my forehead! Not only am a nursing mother (for over 14 years non-stop) and a LLLL I am a skin cancer survivor. When I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma after the birth of my seventh baby(who had his own problems being forced into this world at 37 weeks) two years ago my world stop. I will tell you that the thought of NOT nursing my newborn was excruciatingly painful-and I refused to do so short of needing to in order to save my life. Luckily chemo was not needed as we caught the malignancy just early enough. My personal HCP was extremely professional and open to any and all concerns or suggestions I had when treatment impacted breastfeeding. Because the cancer was actually on my breast (ironic?!) we had to be careful of where the incision/bandage was placed and of course any meds prescribed where researched. Whenever I would ask about the impact to breastfeeding of something that needed to be done the Dr would turn it back over to me with a "YOU'RE the expert, you tell ME!" Great guy.

I believe this patient is getting the run-around. It sounds as if this mom has a type of skin cancer(basal cell carcinoma which pretty much stays on the skin's surface, unlike malignant melanomas) that Aldara, from my understanding is NEW in treating. So, since we have a DRUG that can fix something, why bother with standard treatment?! Tongue in cheek, of course. Before the drug there was excision. Since this mother is nursing and the drug may be a problem-it's a long term therapy,too- I would hope that the HCP would offer her the normal course of treatment and just remove the thing! Chances are she has this on her face so he meds of course would alleviate the issue of leaving a scar. But really, this mother should be given all her options and not sacrifice her baby's nutritional welfare for what's easier. Geesh. 

~Lorij,LLL Leader/Reserve
Mom to seven breastfed children

> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 3 May 2006 12:33:55 -0700
> From:    Vanessa Annibali <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: aldara cream for skin cancer
> 
> Permission to post:
> I have an exclusively breastfeeding client diagnosed with skin cancer
> who has been prescribed aldara cream and been given mixed information
> from her doctors.  She has been told to immediatley stop breastfeeding
> and begin treatment.  It is not in Hale's 2004, does anyone have any
> information immediately?
> =20
> 
> Vanessa M. Annibali, MS, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2