From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2006 15:48:02 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

Well, it's happened, as was predicted by Valerie McClain and others. Human
milk components lactoferrin and lysozyme, grown in rice, have been added to
Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) and were shown to reduce the duration of
diarrhea in a Peruvian study. See
http://www.plantpharma.org/ials/index.php?id=396. (This news is a couple of
months old, so pardon me if it's been posted already.)

How can I not be glad that there is a way to improve survival for the
children and old people and others who die of diarrhea every year? But how
can I not be angry at one more brick in the barrier wall against women, who
have the capability not only to nourish and safeguard their own children by
breastfeeding but the potential to build health for other people by
providing their milk? What will happen to milk donation, milk banking, or
plain old respect for what mothers can do every day underneath their shirts?

Chris

Chris Mulford, RN, IBCLC
LLL Leader Reserve
working for WIC in South Jersey (Eastern USA)
Co-coordinator, Women & Work Task Force, WABA