From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:24:11 EST

In a message dated 3/16/2006 12:07:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Our hospital  has recently tested the breastmilk of 2 babies who were=20
admitted with  high sodium levels-dehydrated.  Both were newborns-not=20
nursing  well, moms milk not really in well(duh...).  I found out about  th=
is=20
after the fact and asked how the milk was collected-no one  seemed to know=
.=20

I was just wondering what they hoped to learn by testing the milk of  mothers
whose babies aren't feeding normally, or whose own milk hasn't  really come
in properly. It's like testing the nutritional content of the food  on a
toddler's plate, when they don't eat it. What does that tell us? Better to  get
someone helpful in there and get that baby nursing/eating, and get that milk  in
somehow as high as possible and fast as possible...theh if the baby is still
having an issue, maybe testing would be helpful. Their energy would probably be
 better spent figuring out why they send mother and babies home without
checking  if postpartum norms are on target for normal feeding and milk
production...sigh.
Just my two cents,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL, Brooklyn, NY, USA