From:
Judy Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:34:13 -0400
These companies are offering "free continuing education for staff." I heard
a salesman compare his own diet to an athletic staff member, implying that
his product is better than a mother who doesn't eat properly, in front of
housekeeping and other uneducated staff members, who were definately not
aware that it was a sales pitch. (it was after the CE activity)  The staff
disagrees that it is a sales pitch every time they come in the door. They
only see free CE and free food. The CE they give here is in association
with AWHONN sometimes. Most of the time it has nothing to with feeding at
all. Usually it's a 20 minute film and lunch. There are signs in local take
out food shops that say "pharmaceutical sales people: please ask about our
specials." It's an industry!
 It seems to me that the name calling in this case must be seperated from
the ethical issue of these sales visits, or the complaint about the name
calling will not be heard. Perhaps putting together a monthly CE inservice
would be an alternative to their free CEs. It's really hard to go to these
sales pitches and keep quiet, but when they see you there, they know they
are being watched. I have seen them run around and pass out junk (pens,
etc) to everyone, offer prizes if staff remember their jingle next visit,
lots of offensive stuff, but there are very few of us that see it for what
it really is. The lunch is the draw. How does anyone get staff buy in for
true bf support? Maybe if we feed them? It shows the power of feeding! Judy