From:
Renee Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 19:05:46 EST
Hello Wise Ones,

I have permission to post.  Mom is breastfeeding a 9 mos old  baby girl.  She
has recently found out she is pregnant.  Never had a  menses and is guessing
to be 8-12 weeks pg.  Her daughter eats a small  amount of solids, but still
prefers the breast.  She refuses outright any  bottles.  Mom states milk supply
has significantly dropped.  She  started pumping again and was only able to
get "1/4 tsp after pumping for ten  minutes, if that".  Baby is frustrated at
the breast, but is still nursing  and finds much comfort there.  Mom is
EXTREMELY dedicated to breastfeeding  and is devastated at the thought of giving
formula.  Mom wants to try  Fenugreek, but has gotten conflicting information on
safety during pg as she has  heard that it causes miscarriage.  She has seen a
product that contains  raspberry leaf, nettle leaf, and alfalfa leaf that is
supposed to increase milk  supply while being safe during pg.  Was wanting to
know if that would be  worthwhile.  I personally have never heard of fenugreek
causing  miscarriage, however since I am unsure wanted to check with you all
first.   While I have heard of Raspberry Leaf for healthy pregnancy, had never
heard it  used for breast milk supply, as well as the other herbals.  (Guess I
need  to bone up on my herbal galactologues).

I have told her about the book, "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" and  she is
running to the bookstore after her daughter wakes up to get a copy.   I know she
will get great information in there.  She is already active in  LLL however
is having some issues with her group leader and doesn't feel able to  get
assistance there.  I have given her tons of "atta girls".  I  have talked to her
about using a sippy cup instead of a bottle.  She tried  that and baby took it
well.  She had some EBM in the freezer and said baby  sucked down the 7 oz like
there was no tomorrow.  She says she only has a  bottle or two left in the
freezer and is worried what will happen past that  point.  She honestly does NOT
want to use formula.  I explained to her  that her baby had to be fed, and to
watch her baby.  She is going to watch  and see if baby seems to be
transferring much milk, or getting a let down of any  significance.  She will be trying
to increase solid foods.  IF the  baby doesn't seem to be transferring milk
well and refuses the solids, I told  her some formula may be needed.  Also told
her she should not feel "guilty"  as she is doing everything right.  She is
willing to try anything and  everything to ensure a longer breastfeeding
relationship.  I also explained  to her that breastfeeding was more than food, and
that she should continue to  offer the breast for comfort and love.

Did I handle this well?  Tandem nursing is something I  personally have no
experience with and don't want to do or say anything that is  going to hurt her
situation.  Anything you might suggest?  What about  those galactologues?

TIA for your assistance.

Renee Drake RN CLC
Nursing Cate for 23 months (and NO illnesses or ear infections this  winter
at ALL!!!)

 (http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=337966)