From:
Nan Jolly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:32:17 +0200
I just swallowed a glass of juice, and I noticed that my tongue actually
participates in the swallowing process. It performs a wave like contraction
that propels the bolus along to the back of the throat to enable swallowing.
Maybe it doesn't enclose the bolus like the rest of the gut, but the
movement seems similar.  I'm sure it's controlled by similar mechanisms and
forms part of the propulsion of peristalsis.
Nan Jolly M.B. B.Ch. LLLL
Port Elizabeth, South Africa