From:
Michael Lehrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:24:17 -0800
Janos Gereben wrote:

>[At Berkeley's Pacific Film Archive]
>WEDNESDAY JANUARY 27
>
>Richter, the Enigma 7:30
>Bruno Monsaingeon (France, 1998)
>Director in Person.

Is there a tape? I recently ordered 'Young Richter on Soviet TV' tape from
Parnassus Records.  It is 1 hour documentary, made for Soviet television.
It shows Richter performing in concert and at his home, visiting oil fields
in Baku, kissing with Brezhnev at the official Lenin's Prise ceremony,
talking about music with the interviewer (rare event).  Parnassus states
the year of the performances as 1960, however, the film displays 1968,
which, I believe, is more accurate.  It is fascinating to observe Richter's
personality, and realize the magnetic intensity and glow, so evident in his
performances, coming across in a conversation behind the mild, reticent
manners.  Contrary to the common knowledge, including my own, Richter
was not close friend with Prokofiev, - he must have been very private,
inaccessible person.  Most of the performances are fragments, except Chopin
etudes that he plays in his home.  He starts with Op.10, No.  4, and this
has to be seen ...  and still not believed.  Highly interesting and
enjoyable film.  The only catch, it is in Russian with Japanese subtitles.

ML