From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:07:26 -0600
Wow, Nicola, this must have been awkward! I do not think it is legal to
videotape someone without their permission but I don't know for sure --
and what are you going to do? Take her to court, you'll pay a lawyer and
have to prove she did this. There are such forms for taking photos, etc.
that IBCLCs have mothers sign so that the IBCLC is covered legally.

If this happened to me, I would have probably felt as odd as you and
hesitated to say no. But after thinking of your situation, I would have
to say no if this happens to me in the future. I would say to the client
that I would be so uncomfortable and feeling like I had to "act" that I
could not do a good job like this. And I would explain that I will give
her copies of a care plan and handouts or pamphlets on breastfeeding.

One problem is that tapes can be fixed up to make something change from
what it actually was. It could be doctored and shown in court against
you should someone sue. I know I am being paranoid here but we must
protect ourselves.

Now on the other hand, I would allow them to (briefly) tape latching the
baby on to the breast so she could watch it again. I would want the
picture to be just of the breast and baby and not of myself. I have done
instant photos (close up of just the baby and breast to show the latch)
when we get the perfect latch and gave it to the mom right then and
there to remind her later on.

Weird things crop up every day! Best to you, Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC