Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:19:06 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I'm out of tricks.  Client has given permission to post and is hopeful you'll have some addt'l ideas.

9-month old has 2 bottom incisors and 1 top, is working on 2nd top.  Teething has been "easy" according to Mom...no sleepless nights or crabby days.  Mom feels extreme pain on the areola and nipple while baby nurses, regardless of position and extra attention to latch.  She's employed all the suggestions for "tooth scraping" at kellymom to no avail (shorter than me listing them all here!).  Nipples appear more red than usual, but areola appears normal.  No itching or burning.  Mom feels as if breasts are less full than they were 2 weeks ago; she's not cycled yet and is on a mini-pill.  OTC pregnancy test is negative.  Had a touch of stomach flu last Friday and this pain intensified on Sunday.  She has tried pumping and the pain is only slightly less intense than with Baby at breast.  Pain is most tolerable at 1st morning feeding when breasts are a bit fuller. 

Mom is adding ice packs for comfort, will try nursing in side-lying position (the only one she's not tried) and will add APNO to see if that is helpful.  Was going to consider ibuprofen, but wants the cause of the pain addressed before throwing band-aids at the symptoms.  Would even consider using shield inappropriately given in hospital when Baby was born...she's that desperate!  Latch is great.  Baby is not clamping...Mom said that she's done some of that in the past and it's not the same feeling or the same pain.

Symptoms are a bit confusing to me and I hate to treat for yeast if that's not what it is.  Mom said she may be getting ready to menstruate and feels emotional, but attributes that to the conflicting feelings about enduring this extreme pain and wanting to continue nursing.

Feel free to send your wisdom to me privately and TIA.

Warmly,
Rebecca DeYoung Daniels, MBA, RD, LD, IBCLC, RLC & MOM to 5

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2