Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 04:33:10 EST

In a message dated 3/7/2006 10:09:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I am not  sure if I understand the comment re: using artificial milk
substitutes to  achieve adequate volumes to prevent side effects from meds. Are they
concerned  re: renal function? Could adequate fluid volumes not be achieved
through the  use of human milk and/or parenteral nutrition/fluids? Could you
perhaps  elaborate? I am also unsure of this neo's evidence base for his statement
 regarding the unsuitability of human milk for term  neonates.

Dear Friends:
    Thank you Dru, for a lovely reply.
    I am also unsure of this neo's evidence  base............as in "what the
blazes is this physician thinking?!"
    The belief in this NICU is that there isn't any  milk, until "it comes
in". Colostrum apparently doesn't count. When babies are  admitted to rule out
sepsis, they are started on triple antibiotics, including  gentamycin which is
toxic to ears and kidneys. Since there "isn't any milk",  babies HAVE to be
supplemented.
    The amounts of colostrum that moms can get via hand  expression are not
huge. Is this enough by itself to give sufficient volume to  reduce the chances
of side effects from antibiotics? Is there any paper  published about this?
    Dr. Wight, where are you?
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com