From:
"Laura A. Mundt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:10:13 -0800
I have permission from the Listmothers to ask this question about
which swaddling positions might be physiologically better for full
term newborns.

We are having a good dialogue in our hospital system about baby
positioning for swaddling. In our newborn care classes, we show The
Happiest Baby on the Block video and the parents love the techniques.
We had a family who delivered prematurely and the PT working with
their baby had a hard time convincing the parents that the baby
needed to be swaddled with the arms flexed.  The Happiest Baby book
mentions the importance of this position for preemies, but the video
stresses swaddling with the arms down so the blanket stays tight.

This PT has looked at the research to see if there is anything about
the benefits of swaddling full term babies in flexion or the risks of
swaddling them in extension.  Most of the research she has found only
talks about positioning for preemies, if it addresses position at
all, but it seems like the flexion position could also be beneficial
for term babies, for the same reasons (i.e. to facilitate
neuromuscular development and organization, aid in self-calming).

So is anyone aware of any resources that might be helpful for us to
continue this discussion?

Thank you

Laura Mundt, MA, ICCE
Portland, OR