From:
Leslie Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:13:35 -0500
Hi all,

Just wanted to bring you up-to-date with the BFI Resolution being brought to RNAO by CNIG, CHNIG and PedNIG at the AGM Friday April 28th.

The resolution and backgrounder were reviewed by the RNAO Resolution Committee mid-February and revisions were made in consultation with the committee.  RNAO members will be receiving the resolutions but the backgrounder goes only to voting delegates.

CNIG developed a 1-page Summary of BFI based on the WHO/UNICEF and the Community Plan posted on the BCC website.  The backgrounder was limited to one page - and we feel this specific info will be important to inform RNAO members about what BFI is in a concrete way.

These documents are now available for dissemination to your local networks, in addition to the excellent support letters from OPHA and BCC which will be helpful.

We are recommending that each of our IG executive members and any other RNAO member (some of you?) contact the RNAO chapter in their region and try to attend a meeting in March or April before the AGM.  Chapter voting delegates will be directed by the discussion and input from their local executive and members.

Sending/bringing the Backgrounder (which only voting delegates will receive) and the BFI Summary and even the letters of support would be helpful.  While we expect that most RNAO members are supportive of breastfeeding -- we are quite sure most will know little about what BFI is (the core of the resolution).

People may well be concerned about the process itself and what it means to organizations and citizens to have this implemented.  It will be very helpful to know what questions or concerns will be raised at the AGM before the vote - please send us back any feedback you receive along these lines to better assist us with addressing these issues prior to the AGM.

We have developed a sample letter or e-mail that you can adapt to reach voting delegates and others.  Please edit this to use locally and disseminate it to your local networks.

Members of the OBC and BCC will be at the AGM.  This will be very helpful to provide informed and direct responses to technical questions about BFI but also for members to see the "face and voice" of the organizations named in the resolution.

The AGM will be at the Sheraton Parkway in Richmond Hill, Ontario.  All attendees need to register beforehand (see www.rnao.org) for details.

We will stay in touch as we get closer to the date. Thanks for your practical and moral support on this.

You may also contact us directly at [log in to unmask] with feedback and/or to request any or all of the attachments outlined above.

If you would like to share this message with others, please do so.
Leslie Ashton, RN, BSc Policy & Political Action Network Officer

Nancy E. Watters RN, BScN, MScN President

Childbirth Nurses Interest Group - RNAO