From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:45:20 +0800
Roza Baghdassarian  wrote:
>     A friend who is working with an LC is quite concerned that she
>is not experiencing MER's or "letdowns" during breastfeeding.  Up
>until a week ago mother would experience several strong ejections
>during a feed.  Baby is now 9 weeks old and just under 10 lbs. Up
>until a week ago baby would drain approx, 2-3 oz. at a feeding at
>breast.  Baby is getting impatient and fussy at breast. After a few
>minutes of sucking and no ejection, the baby shuts down and goes to
>sleep.  Mother is using alternative feeding device to keep baby
>nourished.  Mother has tried numerous measures (hot showers, warm
>compresses, Marmet technique breast massage, pumping, relaxation,
>tea etc, etc...) but the problem is getting worse whereby after
>consecutive feedings attempts baby is frustrated and mother is
>pumping and it takes her over 10 minutes to get a good ejection.
>Please advise as mother is incredibly upset and worried and is
>supposed to return to work in 2 weeks.

Could this mum have a low supply? This is the main reason I have
found for delayed let-down. How much is she able to get with the
pump? Are those amounts diminishing? Is she scheduling feeds? How
many feeds does baby have per day? Is baby fully-breastfed (or
breastmilk-fed)? Any other risk factors for lack of adequate breast
stimulation?

Anything in her life causing her to be tense? Any ongoing worries?
Her worry about this and returning to work could be creating a
vicious circle and contributing to the problem.

Has she tried Rescue Remedy just before sitting down to feed baby or
express? Couple that with relaxation exercises.

Just a few thoughts.

Joy