From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:36:18 -0500
----Camille Edmunds <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> When the baby uses the nipple shield, he does not extract the milk effectively from the breast. His pattern is 3-5 sucks before he swallows. He should do 1-2 sucks with a swallow. So feedings takes forever and he falls asleep and swallows dimish even more unless he has the SNS to keep him on track. Mom did not use the SNS for 5 days only the shield and he lost 8 ounces. (dangers of the nipple shield when baby does not suck right)  She said I "feel that he is not emptying me". Typically I would have seen them in 3 days, but they went out of town. >>

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, can we assume the nipple shield is one of the new thin types for which evidence of good milk transfer has been demonstrated? Has been sized for this particular baby? And, can we assume the baby is deeply latched on the shield vs. latching onto the end/tip of it? I'm just asking because I more often find an appropriate shield helps an infant organize oral structures and suckling for more effective BF. Obviously, there are always individual differences that affect any given infant's response, which is why I decided to ask... Thanks.

Karen