From:
Cheryl Parrott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:52:26 EST
Kristen, and others:

I don't quite know where to start as I am certainly no expert, but...lately
I have done a lot of research, reading, etc on pacifier use.  I am telling
the following to parents, co-worker/nurses, this information based on current
research, AAP SIDS and Breastfeeding guidelines, recommendations from ILCA and
Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine, and from information gleaned from my
recent  Wolf and Glass conference (& direct questions to them).  SO...what I  say
is...based on the AAP's recommendations, as a Lactation consultant,  pacifiers
are to be avoided early on till breastfeeding is well  established.  That may
be 3 or 4 days or 3 or 4 weeks.  Things are  going well when......then we talk
about paci use after feeds, not to hold off,  proper reading of feeding cues,
most babies in first days don't/want them  etc.

Now...I also tell the nurses,and sometimes parents...babies who are really
lifting their tongue, having a hard time coordinating their suck, poor central
groove, MAY benefit from some NNS (non nutritive suck) either via a finger or
a  paci shortly before a feed to help keep tongue down and organize/calm the
baby...then put to breast.  I also loosely quote Wolf and Glass in that
babies with a crummy disorganized suck usually have more going on that just
sucking on a paci.  A baby who is breastfeeding well, usually doesn't  want/need
one in the first few days and the baby who is nursing poorly wants to  try to
suck on everything.  Sucking is calming and soothing, so why should  poor
feeders have their NNS needs ignored.  A paci may be a useful tool  WHILE the latch
is fixed.

Long, sorry!
As Jan Barger would say...applying my flame proof suit now
Cheryl  Parrott RN, BSN, IBCLC
Kokomo Indiana