From:
Catherine Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 10:20:06 -0500
Kim, I am not sure what setting you are using nipple shields in.  If it is
inpatient but you have the ability to follow up with at least a phone call
within a few days after discharge, I think you are fine.  I always
documented my teaching with a nipple shield including it is a short term
measure and pumping should be included after every feeding (with a
hospital grade pump or a good manuel pump-not a mini electric).  Also,
know who the follow up peds is and if they have a Lactation Consultant in
their office & document.  I have even called a peds office to be sure this
mom and baby are seen within a few days after discharge and not lost in
the appointment shuffle of "we're busy".
If you are seeing these moms outpatient then you of course can see them
again for weight checks and follow ups.  Again, document.
I currently work in a NICU where we use nipple shields after several STS
breastfeeding attempts.  Many of out 32-33 weekers have mouths too small
for their moms, but we don't go straight for the shield.  Before
disacharge, many of the babies "grow" into the nipple and don't need a
shield depending on what age they are discharged and other medical
diagnosis they may have.
Catherine Katz RN,IBCLC,RLC