From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 14:30:46 +0800
Pam, your post about your 'sample size of one' was fascinating. Thank
you for taking the time to write it all out.

I just wanted to comment on this bit:

>  Also, many babies do just fine without
>starting solids at 6  months, so the idea that babies do not consume more
>breastmilk when we would be  expecting them to consume solids to
>complement the
>breastmilk also seems to  interfere with the idea that milk intake amount is
>constant based on the amount  taken at 2 months.

I am fairly sure it has been shown that solids do not actually
'complement' breastmilk intake but *replace* some of it. So this
would be consistent with the notion that they take about the same
amount of food overall per day.

I would be interested to hear about the volumes Veronica Rose takes
when she begin solids - whether they fall overall.

Just one other comment about what Laurie Wheeler wrote - she was
talking about very young babies. The research showing the constant
intake was over the period of from *one to six months*, so a
completely different set of rules obviously would have to apply to
newborns (as the supply builds from colostrum).

Joy