From:
Leslie Cree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:19:16 -0500
Hello friends. I am hoping for some hints and tips for holding
breastfeeding peer support mother- to- mother groups for the so-called
disadvantaged population. I volunteer as peer counselor for a clinic run
out of a city hospital. There used to be support group meetings up until
about a year ago, when the person who coordinated and led the groups moved
away. Understanding that peer support is crucial in increasing
breastfeeding duration rates, the desire is there to begin holding
meetings again. Here are my concerns: The clinic holds several classes for
mothers with each providing "free" incentives for attendance. The IBCLC in
charge has said that this approach works and is supportive of offering
a 'freebie' to entice mothers to join the breastfeeding support group. I
have given this much thought and do not concur on the "free gift"
mentality. I have two reasons. The first is that I think it is
condescending to buy off women to come to these classes, which they will
only benefit from if they are there for the knowledge and not the free
diaper bag anyway. Secondly, new parents of any economic sector are
inundated with free samples, products, and advice from everywhere. What is
the difference between the enticement of a free nursing bra to come to the
breastfeeding class and a formula sample diaper bag gift? Does it send the
message that childbirth ed and breastfeeding are so unpleasant that
parents have to be bribed into attending? I do want to revive the support
group, but have been told that nobody shows up unless there is a "free
gift" to advertise on the poster. Another bit of useful info., in this
geographic area (Central PA), support groups have had a traditionally
tough time attracting participants. I do not know if it is an issue of
culture, transportation (some areas are quite rural), or something that I
haven't thought of. Any thoughts you all have would be most welcome. If
you want to email me privately, that is welcome too. Thank you for
allowing me to take up so much space today!