From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:21:50 EST
Joy states, "I certainly agree that latch is important, but I maintain that
you
can have oversupply, with too much milk too fast, with a perfect
latch."

I have to agree with you Joy. I believe that most oversupply is  biologically
determined.  I've worked with many mothers pumping for  premature or sick
infants. Those with oversupply can get away with a lot. They  sometimes pump 3 or
4 times per day and get 10 oz. each time.  A mother  with biologically
determined "normal" supply will quickly decrease milk supply  if she decreases her
pumping or feeding frequency. A mom with oversupply  can have a very difficult
time ramping down.  I just saw a mother  today who is 2 days post partum. Baby
is gulping at the breast,  clicking to slow the flow and spitting up
frequently after breastfeeding. She  had oversupply with her first baby. That little
girl gained almost 2 pounds in  the first two weeks. This had nothing to do
with latch, just too much  milk.  Although I seldom try to bring down supply in
the early days post  partum I've recommended that this mother feed on one
breast per session and burp  the baby in the middle of the feeding and I'm sure
we're going to have to get  more aggressive than this to manage her supply.

I also agree that too much milk too fast can cause babies to have GI
distress. We might not feel well if we slugged our whole meal down in 4 minutes
(although nurses are pretty good at that).  I also see many more babies of  moms
with oversupply exhibiting reflux issues. It makes sense to me that over
filling the stomach too fast with too much milk stresses the sphincter and these
babies may develop significant reflux.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC
Mountain View, CA