HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:05:25 -0400

In a message dated 9/5/2006 11:01:47 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Green  Heart

Smoke,

It was me, not Pat, who requested further info on the green heart beads.  Pat
forwarded me a copy of Rick Sprague's article in Volume 19, Historical
Archaeology (which I already had in my library) and I have been in touch  with
Rick. He informs us that the Cornaline d'Aleppo beads with the green heart
covered with red glass date to 1830 and then were replaced by dark ivory hearts  to
1860. After that time, the hearts were white. Around 1880, the red was
created in brilliant red. Knowing Rick reads our messages, I sent the inquiry to
see if anything new has been discovered. A friend in San Diego recently
excavated a trench through the City of San Diego, Historic Landmark, Spindrift  Site,
and water-screening yielded a number of very small green heart beads. This
would place them in either the Spanish or Mexican era of California history,
which spanned 1769 through 1830 (dated end of green heart beads). The working
hypothesis is that Roman Catholic priests gave necklaces to the Kumeyaay
Indians  who lived on the site. As I said, I just wanted to learn if anything new
has  been discovered in the past 20-years.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.