From:
Alia Heise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:53:45 -0500
Tell me if you can figure this one out, I along with my co workers are stumped! I have mother's permission to post.

2 week old baby born on 12/31 at 8 lbs. 3 oz and is now 7 lbs 12 oz. Lowest weight was on 1/5 at 7 lbs. 5 oz. Wet diapers fine. No stooling for 7 days. First week of diapers good. Baby content but still feisty at times. Waking on own to nurse every 1-3 hours. Taking both sides for 10-15 min each side. Mother has history of low supply and underdeveloped breast tissue due to radiation as teenager but seems to have a good supply at the moment. Supplemented formula first week. 6 ounces total, last bottle was 6 1/2 days ago. Mom and baby not on meds. Mom's iron is high. Baby has had 1 ounce of prune juice in last day and mother has been doing rectal stimulation for half a week. Doctors not worried, she has seen them 2x in past week. Soft bowel sounds, belly felt fine. Doctor gave several reasons to mother to as to baby's lack of stooling: "Mother's not drinking enough, the baby may be using all of the milk and producing no waste, possibly the formula slowed things down." I can't figure it out and can only left to assume this baby has taking on the stooling pattern of an older breastfed infant? But I have never heard of it until now. I am curious if anyone has seem something similar or could let me know what I am missing. I would like to trust the doctor's assessment but the lactation knowledge with in me makes me uncomfortable. The doctor was so easy going about it that her next appointment isn't for 6 weeks unless something changes. Thanks for any ideas!

Genuinely,

Alia Heise
Finger Lakes WIC New York