From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:29:56 -0800
I've been priviledged to be taken, dragging and screaming, from my own
"comfortable" style of lecturing (which, by the way, always brought
excellent evaluations) to the interactive methods now taught throughout the
California WIC Programs.

Repeatedly we try to teach the way we learned - but, as has been pointed out
many times, people "know" things but still don't "act" on them.  I can't
explain the whole idea in a Lactnet message, but highly recommend the
following resources:

Learning to Listen, Learning to Teach: The Power of Dialogue in Educating
Adults, Revised Edition by Jane Vella
This model is taught very well by the instructors from: Global Learning:
http://www.globalearning.com/LtL.htm

In addition, to deal with difficult audiences/people, an excellent book is:
Getting Real: Ten Truth Skills You Need to Live an Authentic Life
</exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0915811928/qid=1139847152/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/
102-6294445-3564936?v=glance&s=books>  -- by Susan M. Campbell;

To see examples on how these concepts are incorporated into the activities
in this training, You can download the classes given for the Peer Counselor
Training in California:
http://www.wicworks.ca.gov/breastfeeding/peerCounselorManual.htm.  In fact,
sections of this may meet the needs you have for your parent classes.  SMALL
amounts of information are provided and activities and discussion is
included on a very frequent basis.

When I offered this training, I resisted some of the activities, feeling
they were "wasting valuable time" that I could be using to POUR NEW
INFORMATION into my audience - however, the fascinating thing is that when
they participate in these activities the REMEMBER and INTEGRATE into their
own knowledge base what is being taught.  Otherwise it's the instructor
doing all the work - and people just sit as if they were empty vessels that
are receiving information.  How many times do you see people sitting in
audiences knitting or doing some other activity while listening?  They can't
in these classes.

One such activity was writing the lyrics to a song that describes counseling
- I had already talked about open ended questions, we had practiced "first
invaluable source of excellent teaching tools and activities), and we had
discussed how it feels to be the mother and how it feels to be the peer
counselor.but it wasn't until they got together in groups and wrote their
songs that I could see the "got it"..  Even 4 weeks later - they remembered
the songs they had written and added that to the evaluation of the whole
6-week series.

I also recommend "Women's Ways of Knowing" and their subsequent books which
speak to the needs, especially of the women I see, who are mostly "Women in
Silence"

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, California