From:
Sue Gehrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:22:27 -0500
I can say from personal experience that the decrease in sensation did
indeed occur with each baby that I had (3 babies in 5 years breastfed
for 14, 12, and 12 months) and all sensation did return.  I could stroke
the nipple or the areola and if I wasnt looking at it, I wouldn't know
that I touched anything.  If I recall correctly, deep sensation was not
affected, only the skin.  I did feel it when my first baby bit me during
teething!!  I dont recall how long it took to get all sensation back,
probably was gradual though.  I looked at it as a bonus.  If there was
any nipple tenderness it didn't cause a lot of discomfort.

Susan Gehrman RN, IBCLC, CCE
Battle Creek Health System
300 North Ave.
Battle Creek, Michigan 49016

***Great service, Great care, Great place to work***

This message may contain confidential information protected by law
through attorney-client privilege or professional peer review/
quality evaluation privilege.  It is intended only for the individual
or entity named above.  It is prohibited for anyone else to disclose,
copy, distribute or use the contents of this message.  If you received
this message in error, please notify the BCHS Privacy/Integrity Office
at  [log in to unmask] or (269)966-8017.

>>> [log in to unmask] 3/28/2006 1:08 PM >>>
My client this morning asked me an interesting question. She breastfed
her first baby for 13 months and said that for the first week or so
her
nipples were tender but then after that, she had "loss of sensation"
and
it did not return for many months, even after weaning. She is
concerned
that the sensation will not return at all this time if she breastfeeds
this baby. She wanted me to reassure her that she would one day feel
sexual pleasure with nipple arousal again.

Since I didn't have an answer right away for her, I explained that
lack
of sleep and hormone changes affect arousal and that as arousal
returns
for other areas of the body, it should return for the breasts and
nipples as well, but that I needed to research her question to give
her
a more complete answer.

Any thoughts?

Pam Price IBCLC, RLC