Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:03:22 EDT

In a message dated 4/4/2006 7:31:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, Tamara
writes: "In my experience I see one and two day old babies suckling only on the
tip of the nipple shield and giving the mother no or very little breast
stimulation and then the baby doesn't eat and learns how to suckle incorrectly.
Mothers then thinks the baby is eating which is dangerous."

I think this requires education, not labeling the tool itself as  bad.  I see
babies learning incorrect latch and suck  with direct  breastfeeding too!!
We fix shield use the same way we fix breastfeeding  directly -- with education
and practice for mom and instruction on how to know  baby is getting enough.

I see moms using their pump wrong after the staff started it during the
night.  I don't discontinue the pump and label it as a bad tool, I teach  correct
use and have the mom practice.  I don't take the pump away from the  staff
use. I use creativity to try teaching  the staff nurses yet  again how to use the
pump correctly because I don't want moms and babies to have  to wait until
the next LC visit.  Any tool used incorrectly has the  potential for problems.
That doesn't mean we shouldn't use the tool.   It is why a skilled IBCLC
should also see mothers in addition to the  regular nursing staff and provide
on-going staff education.

And, there are times when a baby can't maintain latch and suck well  even
with the help of a correctly used shield.  That's when I agree  that it is time
to adapt the plan again and do something else!

Natalie Shenk, BS, IBCLC
Findlay Ohio