From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 07:24:58 EST
No, it's not close to 55-75% who breastfeed and avoid the risks, it's close
to 55-75% who initiate breastfeeding and then down to the 14-38% give up very
quickly (these were not mums who were surveyed in the study but I think
there's  some relevence in extrapolating in this very waffly way!) Breastfeeding
being  "nice" just does not cut it when there are so many pressures to wean.

Dear Friends:
    Karleen's post contains the above point. I have  noted mothers to wean
when they are overwhelmed and/or seeking some control in  their lives. If she
has to leave her baby early to return to employment, if she  has already some
babies at home, if she has little or no help at home (meaning  that she lacks a
village)...............she may choose to wean because it is the  only choice
she has to me. She can't choose to get rid of the older  babies,  she can't
choose to stay home because she has to earn money, and  she can choose to wean.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com