From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:48:59 EST

Gonneke writes:

A mother  posted that her 4.5 mo baby was admitted to hospital (IC) with
severe  kidneyfailure, re pediatrician as a result of a severe overproduction in
mom.  Baby was fed at breast 6/24 and had a history of very wet diapers (mom
used a  bigger size to cope), In her post there is no mention of any kind about
fussiness or weight issues (++ not --), or bowel issues. Upon doc's request
she pumped 400ml at one psession and ped said (per mom) that that could well
be a clue to baby's kidney problems.

Yeah it's weird all right. We are lacking a lot of info as you said, but a
few thoughts. Pumping 400mls tells us nothing about how much the baby nurses at
 any one time, as you said. I wouldn't be surprised if mom had delayed
feeding  due to the MD visit/tests and this caused overfullness at that pumping
session.  Another point is that human milk has a lower solute load that artificial
infant  milks and therefore I would venture to say that if the baby had not
been  breastfeeding this kidney issue might have been more severe and shown up
earlier  anyway. That said, if the baby really does have kidney failure, I
would  hypothesize that the baby has kidney malfunction inherently and not
because of  breastfeeding, no matter how much milk he drank from mom...We all have
seen  plenty of artificially fed babies having unnaturally large amounts of AIM
poured  down their throats with traditional bottlefeeding - if those babies
had kidney  failure, would the ped blame the mom for overfeeding?
I could be wrong, but I would look at those issues first before  blaming...
Best of luck with this,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL, Brooklyn, NY, USA