From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:37:33 -0500
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 00:59:35 -0500, Debra_Ray [log in to unmask] wrote:

"I'm so glad this is coming!  I too have a totally nursing=20 grandchild who
is being reweighed in a few weeks. "Small for height" at 1= 2=20 months.
I'm not stressed about it, but my daughter has a court date=20 coming up and
we are afraid the father will bring this up. Moreover - jus= t=20 one more
way that nursing moms get "dinged" and have doubts placed in=20 their minds.
Please keep me posted - we'd like to have these available in= =20 our area."
Debra Ray, RNC, IBCLC, Frankfort KY

Debra, I sympathize with you; I have reassured many a mom in my La Leche
League group when this comes up.

ABM-fed babies gain too fast and the pediatricians/ parents should be
worried about those babies instead of the breastfed ones who "don't gain
enough."  My daughter, Louise, had to convince her pediatrician that my
granddaughter was normal, and did not need a whole bunch of tests, when she
gained slowly at 10 to 14 months.  Louise gave the pediatrician the related
studies I copied for her, which I got from LACTNET (thank you LACTNETTERS).
Louise also plotted a chart showing her own growth as an infant and my other
daughter's growth at that age; all three were exactly the same.  Guess what?
The pediatrician's response was wonderful; she thanked my daughter for
everything and relaxed about the baby's growth.  BTW, my son's growth was
faster than his sisters' and his son is growing at exactly the same rate as
my son did .  Those old record books are great to keep - I only wish they
didn't have ABM advertising all over them.

Lee Galasso, MS, IBCLC, RLC