From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:34:27 -0800
It was mentioned on Lactnet before that moms could possibly drink the
donated formula in times of hardship for their own nutrition and to stay
hydrated for breastfeeding.   Then Cheryl posted that Ross is marketing
their Healthy Moms Ensure adult formula as prenatal nutrition-their website
says to use until their baby is a toddler.  Hope it tastes better than their
original Ensure for cancer patients, because after one taste my late father
would not drink that expensive stuff we had to buy by the case.

From a cost perspective for extra nutrition, Costco makes their Kirkland
brand chocolate Weight-Loss Shake with its 24 vitamins/minerals listed.  It
was intended as a dieters meal replacement, but a nutritionist told my
daughter to buy it as a vitamin/mineral between meal supplement (without
soy) to keep her blood sugar up.

Looking at the label of Healthy Moms Ensure, the Costco can has about the
same ingredients and is a lot cheaper.  It is $13.99 for a case of 24 11-oz
cans or 325ml each.  Ensure is $5.99 for a 4 pack of 8 oz or 237ml each.
That translates to $1.50 each for 8oz for Ensure while Costco's supplement
is .58 cents a can for 11oz.  My math says Ensure is about 3-4 x's as
expensive.

Wow, what markups Ross has on this product!  Costco is known for its
bargains, especially in the Rx pharmacy.

Judy Ritchie