Karen Querna <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:46:50 -0800
Dear Jean,
This would be any moms worst nightmare, lucky for your daughter she had
you to help her through this! Not sure where your Great Falls Ped. was
trained, but tounges are clipped here in Spokane. For now there are just
love the mother, continue to foster the wonderful nurturing things all
mothers can do.
Before I read your post I was actually thinking in a similar thread.
Improving the system;
Last year I did a little survey of  about 40 MBU staff nurses and
nursing students - I showed them 2 images, one of a young infant nursing
in a restaraunt and the other of  an older toddler nursing in a parklike
setting. I was suprised at the responses, how negative most these HCP's
were about public breastfeeding. ( The info is in a word Document, I can
share if you will email me privately). So if these are the people heling
new families --- we have a long way to go!
The issue back to "How can I use this experience to help improve the
system".  We all need to contact/foster relationships with Nursing
Schools and Medical Schools to promote proper/creative evidenced based
breastfeeding curriculum. I remember hearing  Fritzi Drozten and the
Ped. she works/worked with  at an ILCA conference sharing how they
incorporated Breastfeeding Education into Residents training.
Also write articles for magazines and newspapers, They want human
interest stories.  Jan there are several angles in this story that could
be expanded  (mother/daughter support, Active Duty Familes, Stressors
that new families face, along with all of the breastfeeding issues) and
perhaps someone would publish it.
Also for those of you that are not ILCA members, please join - it was
ILCA's influence that now has JCAHO asking Breastfeeding questions
during inspections.
Best Regards
Karen Querna, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Spokane, WA USA