Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mary Sirian Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 09:53:01 -0500
Comments:
Dear Andrea~I strongly believe in educationing Moms/Parents about risks
and benefits of everything (use of carseat, immunizations, medications,
etc.) Why would we as HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS not also educate our
parents about the Risks of Formula Feeding??? If we educate parents about
formula feeding and they still choose to formula feed, than so be it. If
we do not educate them about risks of FF and the child later ends up with
a preventable acute or chronic illness (Diabetes, Obesity, Sepsis,
Allergies, ect.) that could have been prevented by breastfeeding, than we
as HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS are not doing our job. We are also doing a
disservice to our clients/society/public health in this country. Educating
Parents about Risks of Formula Feeding is not "over the top" it is common
sense and could prevent a lawsuit! Is it "over the top" to tell Mothers
what could happen if there child does not get their immunizations, is not
placed on a safe sleep surface/on their back to sleep, if they smoke
during their pregnancy or in the home of a child??? I stongly feel
education of Health Care Professionals and parents is the answer in
dealing with denial. I would also stongly question the reason for giving
out "convenience formula"=free marketing for the formula companies. This
practice has been banned in many hospitals and should be. I hope this
helps! Good Luck! Mary Sirian Peterson, RN, BSN, IBCLC (Neonatal ICU Staff
Nurse)