From:
Margo Trueman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:18:37 -0800
Joylyn - Please try to keep in mind that you can't judge an entire hospital
by one ward.  I have been to LLUCH many times - just not given birth there -
and had very positive experiences with being able to hold my babies after
surgery, stay overnight in ICU (not their usual policy but when I told them
I was staying they didn't talk me out of it) and while I've dealt with
nurses who aren't well-informed, I've never had a really nasty situation.
Granted I'm not 18 and I made it perfectly clear from the start what MY
intentions were with regards to being with & nursing my children.  So while
I feel awful for this family's experience, it may not always be like that
elsewhere in the same hospital and it might not always be like that in the
post-partum ward.  I'm wondering if mother is being treated this way due to
her young age and it just happens that it's manifesting itself in the nurses
backwards attempts to "help" with breastfeeding.  By all means write letters
but I hope that if you or anyone else ever ends up having your child at
LLUCH that you won't go in there pre-judging what your experience will be
like based on this one couple's negative experience.  I specifically choose
to go there for my children's medical care if I can't get it done locally,
even though LA Children's and other hospitals are closer to home, because of
the positive experiences we've had there before.  (Just feel like I need to
stand up for Loma Linda so they don't get a bad reputation!)

Margo
Proud Canadian
Mummy to Liam & Ceilidh
See us at www.picturetrail.com/nursingmum

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop
thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do
we." -George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004