From:
Kerry Ose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 06:22:59 -0500
Hi, all -- I am a frequent lurker, but infrequent poster. I am a magazine writer with a PhD in
English with an emphasis in rhetoric, and have been passionate about breastfeeding ever since my
first child was born in 1998.

 I have been following the thread about breastfeeding nazis and about the Massachusetts ban on
gift bags.  I have also seen a disturbingly negative media piece on the Massachusetts story, this
one in Salon.com's broadsheet.  (This after two recent pieces there that respectively called the
breastfeeding ad campaign "hinky" and another that defended Tish Durkin against all the crazies
who had written to her).

I think many journalists in particular want to spin the topic of breastfeeding into a battle between
intruding busybodies and a woman's right to choose.  It seems to me the best way to counter this
is to carefully and thoughtfully let the truth get in the way of their "good story" and replace it with
a better story.

How? Writing responses in the heat of passion is probably not a good idea.  In this era of rapid
response letter sections in online journals and magazines, heat of passion letters are
unfortunately the norm.  But wouldn't it be great if the bulk of published articles and letters in
support of our cause rose above that?

It seems that rather than expressing hostility, which we inevitably feel when journalists suggest
that taking formula freebies away from new mothers is somehow a violation, we need to do what
all media-savvy movements do:  stay on message.

What would that message be?  Well, that's something we can discuss, but I think that Diane
Weissinger's way of speaking about breastfeeding is a fantastic model.   What I've taken from her
and others (such as Joanne Elder-Gomes)  are the following:

1.  Focus on the science.  Clearly and respectfully explain that virtually every medical and health
organization around the globe has issued strong statements about breastfeeding not in order to
make women feel guilty, but to convey not only that breastfeeding is beneficial but that not
breastfeeding is risky -- both for mothers and babies.  Follow up with some well-documented
examples of some of the most compelling research.  Offer links to, say, the AAP's statement on
breastfeeding so that they can judge the research for themselves.

This immediately clarifies that health recommendations about breastfeeding are coming from the
medical establishment, not from a group of zealots.  If we did nothing more than repeatedly get
this message out, I think we'd see a change in public opinion.  Say something often enough
(especially something reasonable, true and objectively verifiable) and people will begin to believe
it.

2.  Develop a succinct primer on the corruption of the formula industry.  We can't cover
everything, but a few documented, well-written highlights may help journalists and their readers
understand that this, like many other cases of corporate malfeasance, is one of a large, powerful
industry doing all it can to subvert public health in order to make money.  Mention that this issue
has been covered by The New York Times and 20/20.  Point them to Katie Allison Granju's
excellent journalism.

3.  Repeat again and again that women deserve to be fully informed about breastfeeding.  Rather
than going on and on about the guilt issue, simply note that it is rather patronizing to withhold
health information from women in an effort to protect their delicate sensibilities.  In other words,
emphasize that women are smart, women are strong, and women deserve to be treated like
adults.

4.  Acknowledge that women experience many barriers to breastfeeding.

5.  Never blame women for not breastfeeding.  Rather, call for societal reforms that will make it
easier for women to breastfeed.

These last three give us common ground with journalists who can get behind informed choice and
reforms that can make life easier and healthier for women.

In hindsight, I think it may have been a mistake for breastfeeding supporters to respond en masse
to Tish Durkin.  In some sense, her article was bait, and too many people took it.  Now she is able
to selectively quote some of the angriest letters she got and characterize all breastfeeding
supporters as nuts.

If breastfeeding advocates think of ourselves as a social change movement, we probably need to
start acting like some of the more successful ones from the recent past and be thoughtful about
how we present our ideas.  Having a friend review letters before we send them, spending a little
time away from the letter and then coming back with fresh eyes, and imagining how the people we
want to persuade might respond to our arguments are all good ideas.

Thanks for reading such a long message that is not clinical in nature.  I have been a bit heartsick
about the way breastfeeding has become the subject such an ugly public debate and hope that
maybe we can help elevate the level of discourse, and win a few hearts and minds in the process.

Warmest holiday wishes,
Kerry Ose