From:
Maureen Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:33:02 EDT
I have also seen premies have a spell (apnea and bradycardia) when their
mothers have tremendous let downs or just a fast flow all of the time.   Mothers
like these act like a bottle to a premie.  Breastfeeding allows the  baby to
control flow better because it is a feeding that the baby controls  to a far
greater degree than a free flowing bottle.  It is about flow and  the baby
having the ability to coordinate suck, swallow and breathe.   Nobody can swallow
and breathe at the same time.  When a baby is immature,  you will see that the
baby will suck, suck, suck, swallow and breathe, breathe,  breathe.  Full term
mature babies will suck, swallow and breathe.  Try  swallowing some water and
taking a breath at the same time.  It can't be  done--adults even have to do
one or the other.  We try to have the baby use  a slower flowing bottle before
they go home to see if it is comfortable for  them, taking 20 min or so for a
feeding.
Babies are far more stable cardiovascularly with breastfeeding, but the  flow
is slower with most women (remember many mothers of premies have low or
borderline milk supply) and they may tire out before taking in the full  amount
(remember 180++cc/kg/d) of breast milk at the assumed 20-22 cal/oz.   With
bottle feeding, we can add things or lactoengineer with hindmilk the  breastmilk to
a higher calorie concentration, so that they don't have to take in  the
180++cc/kg/d to grow well.  They simply have to take in less volume to  grow.  As
the baby matures and mother and baby become more comfortable and  competent and
CONSISTENT with breastfeeding, they should be doing more and more
breastfeeding as the baby shows good growth.
These are not smaller full term babies and making the same generalizations
about what "should" be done is unrealistic and grossly unfair.  Every baby  sh
ould be evaluated over a long period of time after discharge, not a single,
solitary visit.  I have had mothers call me crying and upset because an LC  came
to their house and told them that they should be fully breastfeeding,
because the baby performed beautifully while they were there (how much of that  was
from subtle help from the LC??).  Either they took this person's advice  and
then went to the pedi for a routine visit where the baby did not grow or  lost
weight, so the pedi ordered heavier supplementation (how can you blame  him?),
or that they stopped breastfeeding and just pumped and bottled or  switched
to formula, because they couldn't handle the inconsistent information  (who
could?).

Let's give these people a break and give them some time to adjust to being
home without monitoring, 24 hour/day nursing and medical care, and I and  Os.
If a mother is patient and persistent, she will breastfeed, no matter  how
long it takes them to figure it out.
Maureen Allen RN, BSN, IBCLC
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Boston, MA

PS
180cc/kg/d for a 2 KG (4 lb, 6 oz. roughly) baby equals about 1 1/2 oz  eight
times a day.