From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:01:30 EST
Hello all,
I have permission to post: mother of one is adopting newborn next week.
Birthmother has expressed willingness/interest in expressing some colostrum/milk
for newborn before adoptive moms take baby home. Birthmother has been smoking
marijuana during pregnancy, and adoptive mom does not have access to
information  about how much. She knows the birthmother has been advised to stop or at
least cut down, but has no idea how this was received. I shared Hale's info
with her that marijuana is L5, meaning contraindicated, during breastfeeding
as  well as the study he mentions which showed no adverse effects longterm in
one  group of babies. Her question is this: if the baby is already exposed, and
the  exposure through colostrum/milk after birth will be brief, would it
still be  beneficial in terms of immunities and other important start-up
functions, to  give the baby the expressed stuff with traces of the marijuana in it.
She is  aware this is a subject which is unique in the sense of the adoptive
aspects of  it and having no control over the smoking during pregnancy. We did
talk about  how the smoking may inhibit the milk being expressed anyway, but she
wants to be  ready since they are adopting the baby next Thursday. I searched
the archives  for any info about marijuana and all seem to be concerning the
mother who is  going to be continuing to breastfeed and smoke, and/or do not
involve birthing a  baby already exposed to the cannabis.
Any new comments would be appreciated. My impression is that the adoptive
mother feels the short additional exposure continuing after the birth against
the potential gains from baby getting colostrum/milk means she would encourage
the birthmother to express. This seems reasonable to me, but if I'm missing
something, I'm happy to hear it.
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL, Brooklyn, NY, USA