From:
Christina Costa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 15:42:02 -0500
Yes, I did put in my e-mail something to the effect that they could refer
women to their local LLL Leader or to a Lactation Consultant for help. I
read the host's bio and she does have 2 kids....so total speculation...but I
am guessing/assuming that she did not/could not breastfeed.

I had a similar experience when I was at a City Commission Meeting with
several nursing moms in reference to a nursing in public matter. The female
news reporter from a local station that was there covering the story was a
bit snide and wondering why we couldn't all just pump and put it in a bottle
to feed when we were in public. Of course I didn't ask but you could just
kind of tell she had either not attempted bf or not done it for very long
for whatever reason. Or maybe she was one of the women who pump and feed a
bottle in public, who knows?

It is sad because societal issues are some of the biggest things that stand
in women's way of breastfeeding---some never start and some wean early. I am
not an especially "discreet" nurser even in public---even now that my
daughter is 21-months-old and I have a huge 30-week-pregnant belly! But I
wasn't 100% that I was even going to breastfeed at all until right before my
daughter was born and even then it was a day to day thing. I had an
extremely supportive husband who helped me realize that regardless of anyone
or anything else nursing our daughter was priority #1.
Christina Costa, LLLL, Broward County, FL