From:
Veronica Tingzon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:18:37 -0500
Okay, so I have to share a very poignant story about wet nursing.
This kind of goes along the lines of how it is best to be breastfeeding
during times of emergency, too.

My best friend and I have kids born 4 days apart from each other. My son,
of course, breastfed, her daughter, not. We went to a wedding in Los
Angeles CA which was a 2 1/2 hr. drive (without traffic) from our Chula
Vista CA (near the U.S./Mexican border)homes. We all went together to save
on gas, etc..

That weekend is the same weekend that wildfires ravaged San Diego county,
aka Firestorm 2003. My friend only had one bottle left. We got stuck in
traffic about 70 miles from home. The freeway was at a dead stop for 6 1/2
hrs. Her daughter had consumed the last bottle and we were no where near a
spot where we could get out of the car and walk to get her some formula.
(Our kids were 2 or 3 months old at the time). I asked my friend if she'd
permit me to wet nurse her baby. She was very defiant and said no! Then
after almost 45 min. of listening to the poor kid wail, she asked me to wet
nurse the baby. I did, and the baby was content.

My friend began crying tears of inadequacy and all kinds of other emotions
at the thought that she couldn't do that for her baby. She is now pregnant
with her 2nd child. This time she's attended BF classes. She's committed to
BF and has "hired" me as her LC. She told me that until she saw me wet
nurse her daughter, she honestly thought there was no difference between
breast and bottle. She said it slapped her in the face at how wrong she was
about that assumption.

Thanks for letting me share.

Veronica Tingzon, IBCLC, CLE