Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:39:51 EDT
Last week we were teaching in OKC, and the first evening we were  there, we
were at the Olive Garden for dinner.   We were sitting  facing a young family
consisting of mom, dad, a 3 year old daughter and a baby  of about 4 months.
Baby was in the bucket, and started to fuss.  Mom  picked him up and tried to
comfort him.  No go.  She had a bottle and  for the longest time tried to force
the bottle into his mouth.  He wasn't  having any part of it and got louder
and louder.  She walked, she paced,  she rocked, she snuggled.  But this very
smart little one knew exactly what  he wanted.....and mom finally gave in and
nursed him.  Dead silence.   And you couldn't see a thing.  We both gave her
the thumbs up, smiled and  said "good job."  Mom said -- "I tried to give him a
bottle...." and we  told her the baby was too smart for that and that he knew
exactly what he wanted  and she did exactly the right thing for him.

The last night we were there, we were out to dinner at another restaurant,
and another family came in.  This mom was wearing her baby in a sling, and  a
low cut cami-type top.  Before the baby even got fussy, mom started  nursing
her, but under a huge coverup that went around mom's neck and completely
enveloped the baby.  Now you couldn't see a thing -- but it was very  evident what
mom was doing.  We chuckled at the coverup as we thought it  made it more
obvious -- but what a wonderful sight to see in OKC -- moms nursing  their babies
in restaurants and no one telling them to please take their babies  to the
bathroom for their dinners....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Wheaton IL
_Lactation Education  Consultants_