Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Barbara Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:17:24 EDT
Rejoice, there is hope.  Based on an article that Kara Fletcher,  SLP-CCC,
IBCLC from Children's Hospital in Boston and I co-authored for the ASHA  Leader
in February 2005 (ASHA=American Speech, Language Hearing Association,  i.e.,
their ILCA), we are invited speakers at the November 2005 ASHA  Conference.
Our session is called "The Infant Feeding Dream Team: SLP and  Lactation
Consultant."

Most SLPs receive NO training in breastfeeding in their required 5 years of
training.  Nearly everything they learn is based on bottle feeding  studies.
Only those who develop a private interest realize there is a  difference.

Part of the 2 hour (wow!) session will focus on breastfeeding 101,  which
will be news to many SLPs, as well as special feeding needs of the 35-37  week
gestational age infant, feeding cleft lip and palate infants, and the long  term
care of NICU infants that affect later breastfeeding.  We will  emphasize the
importance of both allied hcp's in the growth and development  of a healthy
child.

Kara's program and case studies, we hope, will serve as model that other
interested SLPs can draw from.

Also, from my time at IBLCE, I can tell you that there was a slow, but
steady increase in interest from SLPs in the credential, and I think we will  begin
to see more SLPs coming around to realize there is more than one way to  feed
a baby.  It will, of course, take time, but the beginnings are  definitely
there.

Barbara Ash, MA, IBCLC