From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:11:53 -0600
> logged entries by folks such as the "Old Drone" and that Maryland
> "Beekeeper, not BEHAVER", http://www.beekeeper.org, are either in a
> demagnetized black hole or are tethering upon a string.

I tried to capture Andy's site, several times, but it was too dynamic to
record.  A large amount of the content was in links to other sites which had
disappeared over time.  Gene Brandi also looked for Andy's computer, but
could not find it when we thought of it sometime after his death.  Andy's
bulletin board has also gone to the Great Bit Bucket in the Sky (G-BBS).

As for my site, it is on a paid-up server on an account where I maintain
quite a number of customer sites as well.  Some of you on this list know
that since your site is there with mine.  Since My son-in-law is a partner
in that enterprise, so I imagine that, should I disappear, honeybeeworld
would continue for quite a long time.

Moreover, there is nothing to keep anyone from downloading my entire site
and putting it on CD.  It would fit, and work from the CD without an
Internet connection since the links are mostly relative links and the design
is such that the site is largely self-contained.  There are some external
links, such as those to meetings and events, that go out of date, but the
content links won't.

As for sites disappearing, I have had problems chasing Dennis' site around
from free provider to free provider.  I can never find it on Google, so one
day a while back, I downloaded the entire thing, and have it on disk, just
in case.  I've written offering him an advertising-free hosting on his own
domain at no cost to him, as a public service, since I figure his site is a
classic and a must-read for all.  He is hard to catch, and though I wrote a
time or two,  I never heard back, so maybe he will read this and we'll see a
permanent site come into existence and not have to look for the site on the
back directory of some other large provider.

Anyhow, my advice to all is to grab what you value off the net and store it
somewhere, with the caveat that it could result in several sites going over
temporarily bandwith, and shutting down temporarily.   Also, some sites will
limit how much a given IP can download at a time.  Since my site is 172 MB,
a few people downloading in a short timespan would trip an alarm.  No big
deal.  It's easy to reset.

While we are on the subject, Aaron and I have been worried about the
archives of BEE-L over time, and have kept off-campus backups, but have not
bothered lately.  Maybe it is time again.

allen

Killfiles are magic ;>)